Skip to main content

Dear America

So this is a blog post directed to America.

Dear America,

Over the last 10 hours, I have seen two videos where men have been shot and killed by Police Officers. You know why that is?  I am not saying they're racist but shooting black men because they're doing nothing makes it look like racism and because white police officers think that these men will retaliate and assault them. The men that I saw in the videos had no weapons on them. One was on the ground, held down by a police officer and didn't seem to be struggling but the police officer took the matter into his own hands, put the gun over the man's chest and shot him.

Since January 1st 2016, over 600 people have been shot by police officers (Souce: http://killedbypolice.net/). When will this police brutality stop? When will they realise that these police officers have no right to shoot people if the person is not retaliating against the Officer? These officers kill these people and then do not get charged for killing these people.

Yesterday Philando Castile's girlfriend live streamed on Facebook what had happened after her boyfriend had been shot. He had been asked if he had a gun and was asked for identification and then the officer opened fire on the man. What right did the officer have to shoot the man? He was not holding the gun or threatening the officer. He was simply sitting in his car because the officer pulled them over due to a broken tail light. But shooting a man because he had a gun and was black? Black people are more prone to be shot by officers than white people due to the officers being racist and the stereotypes that they have placed on these people.

America, you really need to sort yourself and your gun laws. If a person is unarmed and not fighting you and is down on the ground like Alton Sterling was, you do not have the right to shoot him. You do not have the right to hurt a perpetrator if they are not a danger to you or the community at that time.

If these two crimes had happened and the victims were both white, this would be taken very differently. They probably wouldn't have been shot because of their skin colour. The amount of racism that is present in America is disgusting and I am not saying that all police officers are racist but those who have shot and killed people when they're unarmed and not fighting. If this happened in England, the officer would most likely be in jail because they killed an unarmed person.

You really need to look at your gun laws and the people who are police officers. America will not become a better country with officers shooting men because of their skin colour. Police brutality is the most awful thing that police officers can do.

Change for the better America, for all of us.



Disclaimer: this is my own opinion and all that I have said are my thoughts on the situation of Police Brutality.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Year

So it's a new school year but this time for me, it's different. This year is all about getting the grades to be able to go to University next year. To cherish the memories I will make in the next year. I've started this blog because I love to write and I want to be able to do this weekly. Just touching on what's happened in the week and what's made me smile. Over the past few weeks, I have been on a roller-coaster of emotions. A lot of them were not good feelings and although some of those still remain, I am happy for once. I am happy because of the support I have from friends and family when telling them the problems I have and will be facing in the coming months. It's quite hard when you cannot tell anyone what you really feel when they ask how you are. You don't want to tell them to bring their mood down but you need to talk to someone. But right now, that is over with and i am enjoying the life I have. I am getting help for the problems I am faci

I CHANGED MY BLOG?

Now I know what you may be thinking and that is probably, why is Katy now writing her blog posts on Wordpress? I have been thinking about moving from Blogger for a while now and I saw a Tweet saying they were thinking of moving over to Wordpress too and so I decided to finally do it.  Blogger has been in my life for nearly 2 years and while it is a good site for Blogging, I needed a change and somewhere where I could explore my creativity more as an adult and be able to use a site where I could input my own made creations onto my own blog.  I made my first blog post on Blogger back in December 2015 when I was 17 and now that I'm 19, I knew I needed to make the transition with my blog but I didn't know how and I definitely didn't know when. So no, I haven't changed my blog at all, I have just changed the site where it is hosted. I will still keep my Blogger site up and live for people to see my old posts but this post will both be on my Blogger and Wordpress blogs.

Moving Out: 1 Year On

Now I waited a little bit after the 30th June to write this post (a month basically) mainly because I moved out of halls and into a house and basically I was busy with finding jobs and doing bits on the side and have been very M.I.A with my blog at the moment and I apologise so here is a long blog post about what happened after I moved out and where I am today and how I got here. So I left home (my Nan's house) on the 30th June 2016. That day was so hard for me. Leaving a place I called home was really scary but I knew at that point in my life I had to do it there and then. I waited with a friend and I stayed at his house for a few nights while I sorted things out and where I was going to stay and things like that. I was going to be moving into halls on September 10th that year for University so I had about 2-3 months to figure out where I would be staying and how I would get all my stuff for University with no job and no home. After a few days at that friend’s house, I was abl